Friday, June 8, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mommy!







What a day! Shawn surprised me this week by making reservations at the Brown Palace Hotel for a high tea this afternoon. Yes, you heard correctly. Bless his heart, he did it for me (alas to say, he'd never go on his own accord)! However, I think I heard correctly that somewhere between his delicious buttermilk scone with Devonshire cream and strawberry preserves he said, "Wow--I think there is more to this tea thing than I first thought!" Needless to say, we had a great afternoon together, while Owen was with a babysitter.

Owen on the other hand, has had quite a week. Somewhere between a complete refusal of baby food, working on 3 teeth, and sleeping erratically for anyone other than me, has been fun. His new tricks include clapping (see new video) and "talking on the phone." Whenever you say, "Hello..." he puts whatever he has up to his ear and pretends he's talking. So funny. Dad, I took that picture just for you--from one "pilot" to another! :-) He has also begun repeating a few words---"duck," "light," "nigh-night," "nana" (for banana). And today, he just started crawling doing that 'tripod' thing...which most likely means walking isn't too far off.

I can hardly believe I am 29 years old. This year has been full of so many joys and new challenges. One of the better years, for sure. Shawn continues to enjoy his new work, and we are thankful for the opportunities that provides. I preached last Sunday, which is always such a "birthing process" all on its own. If you want to read it, you can go to: http://fmcdenver.org/sermons1/current.html and they should be posting it sometime soon. It's titled, "The song of the village." Thanks to all of you who wished me well for this new 29th year of life. I truly am thankful. It was a good day. Now that Owen is in bed, Shawn and I will retire to our newly finished patio and enjoy this beautiful evening...

2 comments:

Yoder Schrock Family said...

Happy Birthday, Rachel!!! The tea sounds so fun. Way to go Shawn for thinking of it and planning it. The patio looks great too. And, Owen is still cute as ever. Love the blog and how it can keep us in touch. ~Mandy, Jon & Noah

Marika said...

Happy Birthday, Rachel! It sounds like it was a good one. I love Owen's shirt. It suggests what is to come...:)