Thursday, July 8, 2010

A heart of gratitude: A new song emerges

As I sit here in the quiet, surrounded by boxes upon boxes, my heart is full. Full of gratitude for family and friends that cared so fully for us these last few years. Full of expectation for what comes next in Charlottesville. And mixed into the middle of it all, my heart is full of a quiet emotional struggle that comes in waves. Yet, that is life. And in this moment, I am choosing not to mourn only my losses or cheer for only my gains, for one over the other seems incomplete...instead I offer thanks for what has been and am grateful for opportunities which are to come.

Goshen has really changed me. I feel that the struggles I've been through in these past 2 years (Shawn's mother's cancer and death, our serious car accident...and the attempt to make sense of it all...) have deepened an awareness within myself of who I am and what I have been called to do. It is ironic at how times of darkness forge and widen the depth of a soul.

As I've written in previous posts, the song that has followed me these past few years has been "Be Still And Know." It is interesting, that as I was on a personal retreat last week, I heard a new song emerge deep within, "Alleluia! The Great Storm is Over" by Bob Franke. The chorus line repeats, "Alleluia, the great storm is over, lift up your wings and fly."

Without trying to sound too glib or gloss over things (because by no means is my life perfect and wrapped up with a bow), I do sense the start to a deep healing and a deep peace. For this, I give thanks. I was reminded on my retreat that storms don't last forever, even though they can feel like it when in the midst of it. The sun is beginning to break through the clouds (don't take this personally, people of Northern Indiana!), as I stand looking east towards Virginia.

A new time. A new season. The great storm is over. Lift up your wings and fly. I praise God for these opportunities of not only moving ahead, but also for the storm and how it shaped me, and for the people that held me through the stormy gales.

"Alleluia, the great storm is over, lift up your wings and fly."
And did I mention, the tune?
Appalachian.

Funny, God, funny.


7 comments:

Sharon said...

What a gifted writer you are, Rachel. I'm sitting here surrounded by boxes as well, and you spoke the words I could have written if I could write as you do! It's been a very difficult five years for us in Kansas, but God has been doing a deep work in us. Now we're headed to Indiana (but I wish it were VA). Blessings to you and your family in whatever new gifts lie ahead.

Sharon Ressler

Unknown said...

You and your family will be missed for sure! I have really enjoyed getting to know you over the past few years. I am blessed to count you among my friends and wish you all the best in this new chapter of your lives.

Martha Helmuth said...

What a beautiful post, Rachel. Indeed, you and you family will be missed big-time! The words of Dag Hammarskjold come to mind: "For all that has been, thanks; for all that will be, yes!" May your transition be smooth!

Jen said...

It's such a gift that you're able to see God's hand and breath upon you in all of life's circumstances-- in the storm, in the mundane of packed boxes, in what will lie ahead. YOU (and your family) have been a gift to all of us here, and saying that we'll miss you is an understatement! I'm looking forward to seeing you again-- after all, we're Mennonite, so it's bound to happen sooner or later, right?!? Bless you, my friend!
Jen HS

Ramona said...

Rachel you have such a gift of writing. Thanks for sharing your struggles. Charlottesville is a beautiful place. I lived there for a year working at a school. Blessings as you make this home.

Jewel said...

Rachel---I'm going to miss you & your family much but pray a special blessing on you guys as you put down roots in VA!

Perry, Becca, Simon and Lukas said...

So well said, Rachel. I've always been in awe of your ability to KNOW yourself amidst busy days of mommy-hood. It's so easy to get lost in these days of routine and tedium. Thanks for your powerful words and inspiring me to be more intune w/ myself- not just my kids.

Anyway- I'm thinking of you lots during this move. Praying for your safety, sanity and stability as you unpack in Ch'ville. Lots of love to you!