Saturday, August 21, 2010

Settling in

We made it. Well, maybe a more descriptive way to explain our transition is "making it." Moving and settling in always takes time, more time that I usually want to give myself. But each day we are here I am finding that things are becoming more familiar and I am really enjoying the perks of living in a slightly larger city. I've also started to get to know a few other women in our congregation and have enjoyed their budding friendships.

People have asked how the boys are doing through the move. Really, they have functioned beautifully, although Owen goes through moments of sheer angst, "I need a friend to play with!" (Usually dramatized when I decline the request to play lions or dinosaurs or Uno for the 15th time of the day). Connor has taken to his pacifier like crack cocaine, but if that's the worst of it, I'll take it.

During this period where Shawn was between positions, we took our first family camping vacation a few weeks ago (see post). Shawn begins work on Monday the 23rd. He is ready. I am ready. I love him dearly, but I think we all need a routine and predictable schedule.

It will take me some time too, honestly, to figure out how this "stay at home" mothering thing works. We need a rhythm. We need rhythm. We need rhythm. Do you see a theme here? Once we get in the groove here, I'm going to see if I can find another mom to do a kid swap with one morning a week (read: Owen gets a friend, and I get a mental break!) and Shawn has offered to take the boys one night a week so I can go out. I think the largest realization I've had thus far in the settling in process is that I don't want to lose myself in this process. I feel like I can quote to you Veggie Tales and Good Night Moon in my sleep, but have no idea that the Gulf Oil Spill happened (ok, a slight exaggeration, but not really). I would like to take that time to read and write. I'm also throwing around the idea of keeping this blog strictly as a family blog (aka Owen/Connor childhood recording) and starting another one of my own reflections of the spirituality of parenting...

1 comment:

Jewel said...

Glad to hear that you are getting settled in. I hear ya, on the repeatedness of playing the same thing over & over in a day! You're right, it's no biggie that Connor is in love w/his paci. Remember he won't have it forever. People are always telling me that & I hate to hear it! And now I just told you! :) Your family camping vacation sounded awesome! :) Yes, we all know that you do love Shawn but you're right, you all need a routine...a rhythm. I did a child swap w/Jen S. & Kris G. every Wed. morning & it was awesome! And that is wonderful that Shawn has offered to give you a break one night a week! We don't watch the news or get the paper so I am always out of the loop when I chat w/friends. I was just @ Women's Nite & it was like "did you hear about..."...nope, not me! Ooh, I can't wait to read your new blog on the spirituality on parenting. You have some good insights & I can't wait to glean from them. Sorry this comment is so long! Guess I miss ya, eh? :)