Monday, December 13, 2010

Encountering the Holy

  
The Lord is coming, always coming. 

Coming to me in surprising ways,
asking me to trust and join.
Wanting to form new life within. 

But, in a world of control where saying yes before analyzing the costs is ridiculous, foolish, unheard of.

Why would I ever do such a thing?

But in the silence…
while I wait…

I too, hear,
“Do not be afraid.”

How do I respond--
to this incredulous request to co-labor with God?

How do I respond to this encounter with the Holy?

I hold this question deep within my spirit today...
as I wait for the one who comes to me.
For the One who always comes to me,
And asks me to join in the mystery.

Yet in this waiting and wondering, I take heart,
For I do this not alone. 
Never alone. 

Because like Mary and Joseph,
I, too, am told that the one I'm invited to carry is named

Emmanuel,
“God with us.”

Thanks be to God.


"'For nothing is impossible with God.' 
Then Mary replied, 
'I am the Lord's servant, may it be to me as you have said.' 
Then the angel left her."
Luke 1:37-8

No comments: