Friday, December 3, 2010

Filling the plate

I hate to admit it, but I gained 3.2 lbs. over Thanksgiving.
Yes, I know,
that.is.a.lot.

But, it was worth it.

The celebration feast and weekend following was delectible.  Sitting at the table surrounded by family and friends, hearts full of gratitude for all that's been given, I'd say those 3 lbs. were well worth the Jillian Michaels hell I'm going through now.

I've heard it said that our spiritual walk, in different seasons of life can take on various menus.  Once in awhile there is feasting--with extended times for retreats, spaces of silence, and reflection.

Other days is like everyday fare--mac & cheese, tacos, Tuesday nights at Chik-Fil-A.  We have moments to offer prayers and read, to integrate our faith with actions.

Yet sometimes, the best we can do is grab a snack.  It's throwing the banana, cheese stick, or granola bar in the purse while driving to soccer practice.  Catching God on the run, where breathing becomes prayer.

I appreciate these menus so much, because I often attach guilt to my spiritual life in this busy season of life thinking I need to do more.  But life right now with active, demanding boys, can't be all about feasting.  I can try, and need to, carve out time and spaces for these "holy holiday meals," but realistically speaking, it just isn't going to happen on a regular basis now.
And that is okay.  Because God is not something that needs to be "found," as much as noticed.  And this can happen no matter what my day looks like.

Life is full of various menus--and I guess it doesn't really matter,
...as long as I'm eating (and gaining weight).

No comments: