Sunday, April 3, 2011

The good life


Vacation with preschoolers, is not a vacation.
By any stretch of the imagination.
Do not be fooled.

However, it does constitute a trip.
A change of scenery,
a change of pace,
a change.
Period.
And with the monotony of daily life,
change is good.

We just got back from a lovely almost two-week trip.
It was warm,
it was sunny,
and there was sand.

As I was (momentarily) sitting on the edge of the expanse of wet,
gentle breeze kissing my face,
I thought,
Life Is Good...

even amidst my seagull chasing,
sand kicking,
soccer scoring,
wave jumping,
sea shell hunting 
beach bums.


No, there was not much relaxation here.
But there was rest.
Not so much in the physical sense,
but in the Sabbath sense.

By stepping back out of my normal, 
daily routine,
even if for only a moment,
I see more clearly.

I. am. blessed. 
More than I realize. 

Taking Sabbath,
being mindful of what is,
pausing to take inventory,
and giving thanks,
renews life.
Because it reminds me again,
and again,
and again,
that at the core,
beyond the superficialities that cloud, 

life really is good.

I have people to love
and who love me,
legs to run,
arms to hold,
laughter to hear,
chocolate ice cream to taste. 
Memories to make. 

And perhaps the greatest realization is that,
I don't need sun and sand to get it.
For nothing in my life really changed,
but me.
Being open and willing to see,
what 
really 
is.

No comments: