Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Vegetable success...almost

As a mother, I try my best to keep my kids healthy and active. I try to serve them good, wholesome foods (even though I have been known to bribe them with an M&M or two afterwards)! Needless to say, tonight I tried. Really tried.

Tonight, I made eggplant lasagna (with spinach, not swiss chard), fennel and grapefruit salad* (I had grapefruit, not oranges), and steamed broccoli.

Now you might be thinking, "Gosh, I'm sure this went over real well!"

And actually...it did! From the moment Owen took a bite of his lasagna (granted I didn't tell him it was full of vegetables) he was ohhmm'ing and ahhhh'ing and even gave me a big thumbs up! Then he proceeded to eat all of his unsweetened applesauce and broccoli (4 stalks)! Connor did the same. He ate it all up.

I could not believe it. I was in momentary awe at this miracle.

Then, I looked at my husband. He was gulping hard with eyes pleading, "Why can't you just put meat in this?"

Success...almost.

You know how you sometimes have to offer babies new food multiple times before they decide they like it?

...I have a big 6'2 baby.

3 comments:

Jewel said...

Yes, I know the feeling when your hard cooked meal is a success to your family. I had to chuckle about Shawn tho!

Jen said...

Wow, that meal sounds amazing. I've never, ever cooked with fennel-- is it hard to find? And what is it about big boys and meat.....

FishBowl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.