Thursday, November 11, 2010

Giving thanks

In this season of giving thanks, my heart just about melted all over the floor tonight at supper.

We sat down together and Shawn led us off on our blessing--a song that we frequently sing, "Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow."  The boys are usually very good about joining in, but from the first note, Connor piped up, "I do, I do!"  And it continued with increasing intensity through the entire song.

"I do!  I do!"
"I do! I do!"
"I do! I do!"

After we sang the final, "AMEN," we asked Connor what he wanted.  He folded his hands, closed his eyes and said,


"Dank yu, God."



So innocent, real, and present.  A true prayer from the heart.  Because sometimes, really, that's all that needs to be said.

"Thank you, God."

There are no other words needed. No fluffy verbose, nor long-winded eloquence.  For words cannot express all that God has been, is, and will continue to be.  Giving thanks seems to be the only adequate response.

Connor, you reminded me of a very important lesson today.

...and a little child will lead them.

No comments: