Saturday, November 13, 2010

Gratitude Manifesto

Oh my.  It was one of those.  Another one of those days.  But it started off so, so good.  It really did.  The intentions were good.  So good.  After reading the 10 Point Manifesto of Joyful Parenting I was inspired.  So inspired.  Today would be the day.  I will succeed.

I will be more patient, 
I will be more understanding, 
I will fill my home with laughter,
I will,
I will,
I will...

So what happened?  

The grocery store. 
(Which could use a name makeover from Giant to...
Giant Pain In the Derriere.) 

It gets me every time.  Every single time.  

We start off amazing--hopes are high, spirits are up, giggles and smiles abound.  I even went above and beyond by making sure the kids were well watered and snacked and we spent some time together making our grocery list, each boy with pen and marker in hand scribbling down what was needed.  I was ready, prepared, focused.  

And we made it.  
Almost.  
But then, there was a line.  
In the checkout isle.  

Of course.  

The lull gave just enough time for the monkeys to climb out of the germ-filled car's window to reach the forbidden fruit lining the isle.  M&M's?  Tic-Tacs?  Gum?  Oprah? (Just kidding, the last one was for me...)

I think it is a conspiracy.  It is the only plausible explanation.  It is a conspiracy against a mother's last frayed nerve.  But we made it through, despite many a stern look and word about expectations and appropriate behavior.  

But,  I was spent.  Completely and thoroughly.  Couple that with a toddler that refused to nap, a stack of laundry and dishes to do, clogged toilet, a constant request nagging for candy every other nanosecond...slightly put me over the edge.  

"Manifesto, oh Manifesto...where for art thou Manifesto?"

From the highest highs to the lowest lows.  That really is the parenting journey.  Attitude altitude that can change by the day, hour, minute, or second.   Snuggling with books (to fighting over who gets to sit on my lap), full-body giggles (to full-body wrestles), bear hugs and sloppy kisses (to runaways and snot), all in an amazingly short amount of time.  

This is the parenting journey.  A journey of the deepest love.  Full of the difficult and the joy.  

Joy. 
A good reminder.  

Joy is one of those amazing gifts that lies subtly constant throughout the ebbs and flows of life.  It is an attitude that despite the circumstance has the power to transcend and transform one's own attitude and perspective.  

God, grant me more joy.  

But you know what? 
I think at the heart of joy, is gratitude.  
Gratitude for what is.  For what's been given, despite the circumstance.  

I have two healthy boys who have kind hearts, smart minds, loving spirits, boundless creativity, self-confidence, a sensational sense of humor, and pure zest for life. 

I have much to be thankful for. 
I am one lucky Mama to be blessed with these treasures.  

So maybe, God, grant me more gratitude.  
You have given me so much.
Come rain or shine, sickness or health, manners or whines, hungry or full, may I radiate joy for truly, 

I.am.blessed.
I have people to love. 










No comments: