Friday, November 5, 2010

Soul rest

All I wanted to do was take a nap.  Really, is that too much to ask?  Ok, not even a nap...like I could restfully close my eyes and drift off into lala-land knowing my 4 year old was roaming the earth like a free man. Not a chance.  I just wanted to sit.  For 5 minutes. 5 minutes--by myself. In the quiet. Peace and quiet.  

"Mom, will you play animals with me?" 

This question is heard no less than a million times on any given week.  I am not joking.  A million times. Maybe more.  

"Mom!  Come outside and play animals with me. I want to show you something. Will you, will you?" His eyes twinkled.  

I breathe in.  I breathe out.  Although a relatively insignificant query, this question loomed so large. Why me? Why now?  I just. want. a. nap.

My needs?  
His needs?  
Weighing the cost of each...knowing that each one is valid and necessary...

His brown beauties looked at me again with hopeful anticipation, would I come?  

Would I?  

I breathe in.  I breathe out.  As I looked again at this gorgeous one asking for nothing but time, what moved me from stillness to action was that I saw the true invitation.  My invitation to meet the Creator--the One whose creative personality breathed life into this budding zoologist in front of me.  For this invitation was not merely about role-playing with my son, but interacting and affirming and encouraging those gifts that this One placed within.  

A huge task?
Or an honor given?

"Sure, I'll come out.  How do you want to play today?"  

What I saw floored me. Owen had hidden his animals all over the yard in different "habitats." As we lurked and creeped, he told me of their eating habits and mechanisms for survival.  He is one smart dude.  Either that, or he watches way. too. much. television. 

After my tour, I suggested that it would be fun to invite Shawn and Connor around on a "safari."  So we spent the rest of the hour or so getting ready by making tickets, brochures/maps, signs, etc...

Welcome to Owen's Safari

Tiger spotting!

Roar!!!

Tour guide explaining how pandas live in trees eating eucalyptus leaves

Giant Panda

Guide explaining camouflage and how chameleons use it to their advantage 

Beaver building his dam

Guide allowing petting 

It was announced that the zebra just had a baby

Snakes in the dirt (and kangaroo if you look carefully)

Moose in the woods eating grass and berries

Longhorn on the plains


Komodo dragon on the beach

An afternoon encounter with the Creative Divine.  
At the end, even though my body was still tired, my soul found rest.


3 comments:

Jen said...

Wow-- this is beyond impressive. The complexity of Owen's play and his attention to detail is astounding!! Your ability to see the Holy and Divine in the ordinary is such a gift, Rach. Thanks for a beautiful post.

Jewel said...

Wow, Owen is quite creative, imaginative, & knowledgeable! What a fun Safari! Did you get your nap in later?

Unknown said...

This is so fun! What a smart little guy.