Saturday, January 22, 2011

Life as miracle

I was struck tonight as I read my littlest pumpkin
Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever,
how life is miracle.

Here was my babe-toddler, naming things that I hadn't the slightest clue he knew.

Porcupine?
Sea gull?
Panda bear?
(As distinguished from the also present and named
grizzly,
polar,
and black bear.)

How time moves on--how fast things change.

Soon he will be explaining concepts of inertia,
and the laws of physics before I blink.
Just ask The Professor--my precocious eldest,
who did just that during my latest batch of folding clothes.

What?!
Transferring the concepts...and naming them correctly?
At four?
Who are you?!

In both cases, I sit back...
and smile.
I am beholding a miracle.
Miracle of life,
simply being lived.
Learning,
growing,
loving,
being.

I breathe in.
Miracle.
I awake another day.
Miracle.
I am surrounded by  love.
Miracle.
I have a roof over my head, and food on my table.
Miracle.

As I sit, and reflect...
I give thanks for all these...and more.
Because for too long, the lies won.

The discontent,
the anxiety,
the control.

But in the quiet...
as I breathe,
as the miracle of life sustains me,
for one more hour,
one more minute,
I realize that gratitude, silences.

Silences the lies.
And fears.

For there is no place I can go where God is not.
Looking around, I finally notice.
God is here.
Sustaining life.

And so with my miracle breath,
I breathe in grace,
and exhale gratitude.
God. is. good.

Maybe this is how we really live life?
Moment by moment.
Taking notice of the miracle each truly is.
And give thanks.

2 comments:

Jewel said...

Beautiful. I have tried many times to post a comment to your previous posts but blogger wouldn't even allow me. I'm glad I can now comment. Just want you to know that I love keeping in touch w/you thru your blog now that you are far away from me. Blessings to your family!

Deborah said...

I love reading your blog and hearing your insights into being a mother, wife, and woman. Many of your posts really resonante with me. Thank you for taking the time to share.