Monday, January 24, 2011

Ode to Dorothy

So today at lunch, I asked Owen if he wanted to pray.

"Sure, Mom. Let's sing a song."

Fine.  This is fairly typical for our family...not much out of the ordinary.

"I want to sing the Dorothy song."

I'm a bit confused.  Dorothy?  I don't know a song about Dorothy.
Heck, I don't even know a Dorothy...
unless you count Elmo's goldfish.

"Yes you do!  You sing it...'cross and has and Dorothy...!'"
He gets more and more agitated.

Okay, I'm stumped.
Buddy, I have no idea what you are talking about.
Is this a preschool song?

"NO! WE SING IT!  YOU SING IT...(insert inaudible melody)...
"cross and has and Dor-or-thy!"
He is quite upset at this point and I am still completely shaking my head in utter confusion and bewilderment.

Dude, what. are. you. talking about?

Then it hits me.
Of course, our good friend, Dorothy!

This revelation was no less than a gift of grace,
because people,
I. had. no. stinking. idea.
what this little dude was talking about,
although he was completely certain I did.

"Christ, we do all adore thee! That's what you want to sing, right?"
(Get it?  Do it Mad Gab style..."Christ we do all a 'dorothy.'")

He shakes his head like,
"Duh, Mom.  What was your problem? That's what I've been saying all along."

Sure thing, Owen.
Sure thing.
Why didn't I think of it sooner?

I'm not sure I'll be able to sing this song again without chuckling.
Heart smile.

I'm sure Christ adores Dorothy, too.

5 comments:

Jewel said...

Oh, I was chuckling thruout this whole post becuz I've been there...where I just can't understand Bray & he's getting more frustrated every time he has to say it again. Glad you figured it out. And yes, I'm sure God adores Dorothy, too...even Elmo's goldfish! :)

Anonymous said...

to cute!

MediaScribble said...

I get the impression you're religious, and I'm sure it helps. I was born a catholic. I went to church very often for many years, but somehow lost my way. My story isn't that uncommon. Religion to me seems like a sort of illusion. I want it to be there, but can't really grasp hold of it. I'm not sure that running it in circles in my head will help. It seems to provide something to you however, and it's nice to see.

Best regards,
Howard
NJ

Everything Belongs said...

Thanks for your comment, Howard. I appreciate you writing and sharing your experience. I agree, that running religious theologies in the head does not do much to help feel a connection. Spiritually speaking, I believe that God is always seeking us, inviting us to just take notice...to be mindful...often times God surprises me, even in the ordinary and mundane. It is a discipline for me to open my eyes to see beyond what is at the surface.

Blessings on your journey. Hope you stop back again.

Beth said...

I just love this story <3 He will remember that one day... I am quite sure of it1