Sunday, February 6, 2011

All by myself

He did it.
The little one, after much anguish and writhing,
finally did it.
The PJ's were on.
By himself.
All by himself.

It makes me pause and wonder how often I am like him,
writhing and wiggling,
squirming and pouting...
trying to do life myself.
All by myself. (Insert 1975 song by Eric Carmen here.)

For what ends?
To show that I'm independent?
Strong-willed?
Tough?
That these traits are somehow better?
More desirable?
That I am somehow better?

But we were never meant to be alone.
Back when Creation was formed, there was Adam and Eve.
Even the animals went into the ark two by two.
Life is meant to be lived together--in tandem.
Bearing with one another,
encouraging,
supporting.

I was reminded of something that I said awhile ago to Shawn--
the lover of my life,
companion on the journey,
the one who truly makes me a better person...
as he was going through some recent vocational angst...
six simple words,
that cut to the heart.
"Let me hold that for you."

What a gift to offer another.
An offer to hold for the another, what is too difficult to bear alone.
To walk with.
To laugh with.
Love with.
This is how life was meant to be lived.
Together.

Jesus said, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”  ~Matthew 11:28-30

No comments: