Thursday, February 17, 2011

Play is the name of the game

How many times do I hear this phrase a day?


"Mom will you play with me?"


Like, somewhere in the ballpark of a hundred-million-gazillion times.
Give or take a few.

Lately, Owen, who still loves his safari escapades, begs me to play animals with him each and every afternoon...or basketball...or hockey...or Master Mind...or his made-up games like "ball-catch" where we roll small balls on the ground and try to catch it with a teacup from the play kitchen.

...during the time when Connor is sleeping and laundry needs to be folded, lunch dishes need to be cleared and washed, and/or sitting down with a drink and book really looks appealing.  He generally is pretty good about playing by himself for awhile, as I get some of the above done or rest.

Which is completely fine.
And appropriate.
He needs to learn to play by himself and have some alone quiet time.
And so do I.

But in the midst of doing my now fine-tuned crocodile-hunter Steve Irwin voice, during a recent mid-afternoon safari, I realized again in a new way that the simple question of, "Mom will you play with me?" is just another way of Owen wanting connection.  Of me completely paying full-attention to him without distraction of his brother or father.  Because let's be real.  My full attention to him or anyone doesn't come by too often.

And so answering in the affirmative is not only a way of me tangibly showing him my love,
that I value him and his creativity,
and want to spend time with him,
above the things that can wait;

but also, that this is his 4-year old way of sharing his love for me.

That he values me so much,
that he is choosing me to play.
He wants me.
He enjoys spending time with me.

For play is his love language.

And so I will play.
Because I do love him.
More than he will ever know.
And that by accepting his play,
I am also accepting the love he offers to me.

I'm sure this phrase will change over the years,
"Can I have some money?"
"Can I take the car?"
Perhaps even,
"Leave me alone."
But I pray that I have the ears to hear underneath it all,
his longings of love,
and accept what he offers.

But for now....even right-now as I finish up this post...
"Will you play with me?" reigns.
And so he crawls up on my lap, and we play.






3 comments:

Jewel said...

Thanx, Rachel for this post. I, too, here those words a hundred-million-gazillion times (I thought it only happens to me!). And it drives me nuts w/the frequency! Becuz you're right there are a a hundred-million-gazillion things to do around the house! I had not thought of it as his love language. Thanx for that thought. My solution to this situation is use a timer. I start out w/1 min. of me time. And he knows when that timer goes off he's got me for a min. And then I play w/Jaydon for a min. And then Family Time which means the of them together. Then it's 2 min. of me time. We repeat that cycle while adding a min. to stretch out the time. I don't get as frustrated becuz there's an understanding that Mom needs time to get things done & he'll get his Mom play time fix!

Marika said...

Great post and adorable pictures!

Kate said...

Rachel,
Thank you for this post. It's so hard to forget what little boy words REALLY mean, and that they aren't TRYING to make me crazy.
Owen and Simon seem so much alike. I'm sorry we don't live around each other anymore; I'm sure they would have a great time playing together. And I would have fun playing with you,too!